Saturday 17 January 2015

4 matches ... or so

For some years now during the Christmas time I wanted to replace the Patch that is normally brighten up our living/dining room. Have a look at the "all-day-patch" here. For me Christmas is not multicolored and I wanted something calmer. 
Of cause I am just thinking about it during November and December and this is a very busy time. But I have some ideas already in mind. During this Christmas vacation I detected a new inspiring blog. Have a look at Christina Camelis blog A few scraps, too. She is doing so nice quilting and it is looking so easy and as if I could do it too. Lately she is posting videos from her quilting and it is a pleasure watching her smooth movements and the elegance. 
I know I am far from that level, but I have been kept by this pattern called wildfire. I watched the video, picked a scrap of fabric made a quick little sandwich and tried it out. Not as even as Christinas quilting, but I thought it might work for a bigger quilt. I wanted to highlight the flames and then I had the idea of 4 matches for a Christmas wall hanging. I have been fast with the quilting of the flames, but then I stuck. How to quilt the background? I finally decided on stripes that are above the flames a little wavy to indicate the motion of hot air.
(Ignore the horrible quality of the photos, we didn't have enough light since days and I got impatient. Maybe I replace them later) 

I have to say, that I really disliked it while finishing it, but having it on the wall, looking from the distance is not so bad and I don't see the mistakes any more.

The matches-idea is not as visual as I intended. My kids are seeing trees and my husband flowers. What do you see?
My husband also thinks it is boring, what is surely true, compared to the other multicolored one that has this place normally. But this one has a backside too. So, darling, there is more color for you: 
The backside is a grey-green colored old bed sheet. The flames are quilted red like on the other side, the stripes are soft blue on this side, so they are not standing out from the background. (oh man this photos are really horrible)

Even I like it a bit better now, when ready, I don't think it will be my Christmas decoration this year. I will see if I can find someone who likes it and who isn't asking for perfection like I do. 

Bonne weekend,
Jane

4 comments:

  1. Wow! This is lovely. Very minimal, modern and abstract. I think your choice of subject is difficult to capture: flames are light and motion, very difficult to evoke. I think you did a great job with the design!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for your encouraging words! I guess you are right: flames are hard to catch. Maybe I should start to see trees in them too and then like it better :-)

      Delete
  2. It looks so good. I will be using this quilting design very soon. I love the tree look with the wildfire quilting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. Go ahead, it is really a fun quilting pattern. Have a look at Christina's blog (http://afewscraps.blogspot.com) you will find tons of inspirational patterns ...

      Delete